Principles of eligibility
- You must have used the expression 'Torn between the Scylla and the Charybdis' at least once in the last year Some old fogies use this expression but it is possible to be one without using it!
- Translate the exact meaning of the word 'et' in 'Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes' The 'et' is not 'and' but a specialised form of 'etiam' so that the whole translates as
- Explain how your claim to know the Head Master of Manchester Grammar School may be suspect Manchester Grammar School has a High Master, not a Head Master
- Justify your preference for either the blonde Christine Keeler or the brunette Mandy Rice-Davies Christine Keeler was brunette, Mandy Rice-Davies was the blonde!
- Remember the one (repeated) word, once used by Margaret Thatcher on the steps of 10 Downing Street, when Ted Heath learned of Margaret Thatcher's fall from power The words were 'Rejoice! Rejoice! echoing the sentiments of Margaret Thatcher when interviewed on the steps of Downing Street after the Falklands War.
'I fear the Greeks even if bearing gifts'